Transform your bathroom from drab to fab with the right remodel.View Gallery >
Designing the Well-Functioning Kitchen
Every year, we find that kitchens are our most popular remodeling request and that makes sense since most homeowners count it as the most used area in their home. The JMC Home Remodeling Specialists team approaches each kitchen remodel with a critical eye towards functionality and although every family is different, there are six key elements that we consider in developing each design.
- Thoughtful Floor Plan. We take our time to understand the needs of each person who will be using your kitchen. Specific considerations include: placement of appliances, cabinets, fixtures, lighting, and how much counter space is necessary. A well-functioning kitchen will offer good flow into the adjacent rooms in the home and sometimes this involves removing walls or reconfiguring space.
- Workstations. In many families today, more than one person is involved in preparing meals. This has created the need for workstations in the kitchen. Common stations include prep, baking, and clean up that can be utilized independently of one another.
- Storage. Understanding who will use the kitchen and how they plan to use it enables us to maximize the storage options in our design. We will consider optimal cabinet placement and whether doors, drawers, or pullouts will work best. Other storage options could include open shelving, pantries, or islands.
- Island Position. Adding an island to your kitchen design can have many benefits including additional storage, another workstation, or a place to eat and entertain guests. Islands must be placed where they won’t impede traffic in or out of the kitchen. A good rule of thumb is to allow 42 inches around all sides.
- Appliance Selection. Don’t be lured in by a great looking appliance without making sure that it’s the right size and offers the type of functionality that you truly need. We will provide you with guidance on the types and sizes that will work best for your needs.
- Proper Lighting. A well-functioning kitchen must have proper light and that means a layered light plan that includes natural, task, ambient and accent lighting. Windows, sliding doors and skylights are great options for natural light. Pendants over an island can provide task lighting. Under cabinet lights can work for task and accent lighting. Recessed lights or ceiling mounted fixtures work well for ambient light.
Take a look at your own kitchen. Is it functioning well for your family? We invite you to look at our kitchen portfolio to get some ideas and when you are ready to create a custom design for your own home, please contact us.
- 1Initial Phone Call
- 2Your In-Home Consultation
- 3Showroom Meeting
- 4Estimate Overview & Deposit
- 5Pre-Construction Visit and Meeting
- 6Final Material Selections
- 7Applications and Permits
- 8Pre-Job Walkthrough
- 9Start of Construction
- 10During Job Follow-Up Call
- 12Substantial Completion/Walkthrough
- 13Project Completion/Final Inspections
- 14Project Closing Meeting
- 16Survey and Review Request
From new cabinets to full kitchen renovation, we have your needs covered.View Gallery >
Your home is uniquely yours; updates can help showcase your style.View Gallery >
Basements allow you to expand your space without building an addition.View Gallery >
- Additions & ExteriorsAdditions & Exteriors
From façade enhancements to home additions, our team does it all.View Gallery >