Transform your bathroom from drab to fab with the right remodel.View Gallery >
Wooden Floors vs. Tile Floors
One of the most important choices you will make when remodeling or building a home is your choice of flooring material. Two of the most popular options are wooden floors and tile floors, both of which are great choices for any house. They each have advantages and disadvantages, but ultimately, your choice will depend on your personal tastes, the design goals you have, and your available budget.
Wooden floors offer a traditional appearance with warm, natural colors, a variety of grain patterns, and a wide range of options that can fit nearly any budget. Whether you choose soft woods like pine or bamboo, hardwoods like oak or pecan, exotic woods, or durable engineered wood flooring, you can create a great-looking, inviting space that fits with any decor. Wooden flooring works especially well in dining rooms, family rooms, and bedrooms, but it is not the best choice for high-traffic areas like kitchens, bathrooms, or entryways where it will be prone to moisture or scratches.
The advantages of wooden floors include:
- Durability – With proper maintenance, wood floors can easily last for decades or even the life of the home.
- Appearance – Wooden floors offer a warm, inviting appearance and traditional styling.
- Comfort – Wood floors are physically warmer than tile, making them more comfortable to walk on during cold winter mornings.
- Maintenance – Though more maintenance is required than tile, wood floors are relativity easy to clean and care for.
Compared to tile, wood flooring can be more expensive to install, especially for high-end woods, and it is less durable when exposed to moisture or high foot-traffic. It requires more maintenance, with polishing and occasional refinishing required, and it can warp with exposure to moisture or extreme temperatures.
Tile floors are extremely durable, especially in areas like kitchens or bathrooms where moisture would quickly ruin other types of flooring. With hundreds of sizes, colors, and types of tile available, it is easy to create a unique, stylish design that works with any budget and decor. From standard ceramic tile to porcelain, glass, or natural stone, the design possibilities are endless and can help to create a clean, modern appearance.
The advantages of tile floors include:
- Durability – Tile floors are moisture-, stains-, and scratch-resistant and they can easily last for decades or longer with proper care.
- Cost – Tile flooring can be significantly less expensive to install than wood flooring, and it will typically last longer.
- Maintenance – Tile flooring requires very little maintenance, with only occasional resealing of the grout necessary, and it is very easy to clean.
- Sustainability – Ceramic, porcelain, and glass tiles are made from more sustainable materials than hardwood floors.
Though tile flooring is more durable than wood, it is prone to cracking from sharp impacts, and it is more difficult to repair. It can be cold to the touch, unless radiant heating is used, and it is less comfortable to walk on.
Home Remodeling Services in Morris, Union & Essex County, NJ
Whether you choose wooden flooring, tile flooring, a combination of both, or other great options like vinyl or carpeting, our experts at JMC Home Improvement Specialists can provide a great-looking, professional installation. We offer home remodeling services throughout Morris, Union, and Essex counties, New Jersey, can we can help you select the best flooring options for your design and budget. No matter the size or scope of your project, trust JMC for all your remodeling needs.
Call our home improvement experts at 973-936-8339 or contact us online to discuss your flooring options today!
- 1Initial Phone Call
- 2Your In-Home Consultation
- 3Showroom Meeting
- 4Estimate Overview & Deposit
- 5Pre-Construction Visit and Meeting
- 6Final Material Selections
- 7Applications and Permits
- 8Pre-Job Walkthrough
- 9Start of Construction
- 10During Job Follow-Up Call
- 12Substantial Completion/Walkthrough
- 13Project Completion/Final Inspections
- 14Project Closing Meeting
- 16Survey and Review Request
From new cabinets to full kitchen renovation, we have your needs covered.View Gallery >
Your home is uniquely yours; updates can help showcase your style.View Gallery >
Basements allow you to expand your space without building an addition.View Gallery >
- Additions & ExteriorsAdditions & Exteriors
From façade enhancements to home additions, our team does it all.View Gallery >